Friday, August 10, 2007

Training has begun!!!



After doing endless research on where I would like to train and gain the most knowledge for the goals that I have set for myself, I ended up at Seven Owl Dojo. The reason I chose this facility is because they are one of the very few places in the area that specifically train for MMA (Mixed Martial Arts). They work on submission fighting, catch-wrestling, Jiu Jitsu, Judo, and kickboxing We not only learn competition rules, but street fighting rules too...ha-ha, which consist of "no rules." I have certainly learned quite a bit since I started my first class over a month ago. I learned that I am out of shape and I have a lot to learn. It takes a certain athlete to endure the physical training and pain tolerance of getting your butt kicked day in and day out, but I am managing to grow every class. I have increased my endurance to where I don't feel like I am going to throw up after class and my confidence is certainly getting better. In my class, there are several guys who outweigh me by 40-50 lbs. So when I am able to go up against someone my own weight, I can hold my own. One thing I thought I knew growing up was how to throw a punch, but I was completely wrong. Throwing a blow while dipping your head, shrugging your shoulders and keeping your opposite hand to block is one hard thing to do correctly. I am sure with time, everything is going to come natural. I just need to work hard day in and day out to better myself and set small goals so I can reach my overall goal when the time comes to step in the cage.

No comments: